Monday, September 19, 2011

Very Quick Weekend in Review....Where did the weekend go?

Friday night our family was asked to do a little "show" for a disabled and mentally handicapped group.  Say what you may about us....but I feel that it is very important to serve other people who are less fortunate than we are.  The kids were very excited to do this as well.  We were invited for a Potluck before hand and it was so amazing to see my children walking around and saying "hello" and shaking hands with people that had disabilities.  There was no staring or pointing...they seemed to accept them for who they were.  

 We brought props along for the songs that we sang.  "5 little snowman fat!" ( and Lanie who wanted to be a part of it as well!)
 " The Itsy Bitsy Spider".  Molly even invited the audience to sing along.  What music to my heart to hear the kids and the people in attendance all singing together!
 "Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden sun."  This is Gavin's favorite song he likes me to sing to him!
 " I'm a little tea pot"  The kids came up with all the motions by them selves.  I didn't even practice the songs with them.
 "the wheels on the bus."  This one had everyone singing.  We ended with Father Abraham!  Lanie crawled around the whole time and one of the residents kept trying to pick her up!  He was a funny guy!  When we left, Sadie said, " I really liked doing that Mommy, it made my heart happy."  Dan even got up and did Father Abraham with the kids.  We may not have it all together all the time....but to hear Sadie say what she did....made my heart happy.  It made me proud that someone would ask us to do this.  It made me happy that my kids were so willing to do this.  I made me so happy that they all did it without complaining and that they wanted to do it.  We have been asked to come back.  We also will be volunteering at a nursing home once a month and leading the residents in songs as well.  We will keep making other people's hearts happy as well as ours.  (If you want to join us ever....let us know....we would love to make your heart happy too!)



Okay....Saturday....we started the morning off with soccer games.  3 of them.  Molly lost:(  Sadie scored 3 goals, Abbie was an awesome defender, and Kenadie got hurt, but pulled it back together.  One of the other mom's commented on how good Kenadie was.  She totally took command over the entire field!

We came home, the kids napped and we got ready for Lanie's birthday party.
 She still wasn't feeling the best...she was better...but not 100%.  My sister-in-law, Angela made Dan a matching shirt to Lanie.  I couldn't get Lanie to look for the life of me.
 No smiles yet.   Too many people, too many things to look at, and too much to do!
 She didn't know really what she wanted.  She just wanted her mommy or daddy to hold her.
 Lanie had to check out Daddy's shirt.  30?  How come my shirt only says 1?
 The Axtman men took on a game of badminton.  We tried to play with the girls earlier, but it was so windy and they got very frustrated.
 Gavin LOVES his twin cousins.  At one point during the party he said," I just don't know who to play with, there are so many people that want to play with me."
 We rented a bouncy house for the party.  Not only did the little ones enjoy it...the big boys (including Dan)  had their fair share of fun in it as well!  Actually, I think they had the most fun in it.  I am not sure what they were doing, but there was a lot of laughing!
 All the great grandparents were able to make Lanie's party as well!  Dan's grandpa's got to chat with Lanie and Auntie Angela for a little bit!
 Gavin got a little chilly so he wanted to sport his new coat and hat.  I ordered each of the kids a hat to match their coat for this fall.  I can't wait to show you a picture of them all with their hats on....way cute!
 The badminton net doubled as a volley ball net as well.
 Uncle Brian kept Lanie company for quite some time.  He read her a book....but Uncle Brian likes to change the words.  Very strange book it sounded like.
 I was tired....I was pooped.....I really wanted to help Lanie with her gifts, but I had to sit and take a break.  So I was in charge of pictures again!  Lanie loved to look at the cards.  She even go the hang of opening boxes as well!
 Whoops.....that's not Lanie opening gifts.
 The kids were more than happy to help Lanie.  She got some new clothes, pillow pets, and a high chair to put her new baby in.  (oh and some money....she was able to buy herself her 1st shoes with her birthday money!)

 As the night went on, she was getting sleepy.  She wasn't too sure about the birthday singing thing...or the cake.
 Actually, she wasn't a fan of the cake at all.  She didn't like the frosting on her.  She ended up taking a sink bath.  Oma gave her a very long nice bath.  Oma and Nana Luci (angela's mom)  took the kids for a sleep over after the party.  They were having a build a bear party on Sunday morning.  The kids were so excited to go!  Dan and I were down to only 1.  It made us remember what it was like to just have Molly.  We over slept Sunday morning and had to rush to 9:00 church.  I worked in the nursery with Lanie and Dan got to sit in church alone.  We got some lunch and did some errands....all with only Lanie.  A very weird feeling!


We picked the kids up from my Mom's around 2:30 ish.  They were  way cranky and over tired.  Gavin slept all the way home and then came home and slept some more on the ground....in his spider man costume!
Thanks Mom and Nana for taking the kids and making them feel special.  I think I heard them say they wanted to do this at least once a month from now on.  Right?

I may be scarce this week.  Super busy and a lot going on.  Will post pictures when I can.  Soccer, pot lucks, special days, half days of school.  Oh and I am in need of babysitters.....anyone?

Have a great week!  Go make someone's heart happy!

3 comments:

  1. Just checking to see if this works. Akon and I wrapped some presents for everyone today. He actually was just trying to figure out why he didn't get any presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It is not very nice calling our family disabled and mentally handicapped.......then again, I guess I can see where you are coming from.
    2. Once again, I can't stress enough how much you are like your mother.
    3. Lanie probably didn't like the cupcakes because her Oma did not make them.
    4. It is probably not a good idea to get babysitters for the kids after you have the new baby until Dan has a man part surgery.
    5. A bouncy house?!?! Must be nice to be able to afford an expensive bouncy house for a party. I got my kids a frisbee for a party once.
    6. It has been 2 days since your last post and I am Jonesing for my Wilke family fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt you are just too funny...and Akon I wish I could meet you...

    ReplyDelete