Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th....

I remember it like it was yesterday.  I had just started working at Office Max as a Manager and I was heading into the Brookfield store to do some training.  I was listening to 94.5 and Riteman and Miller were on the air.  They came on with breaking news as I was sitting at the corner of Capital Dr. and 124th St .   A plane has apparently crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center.  I personally thought that some pilot must have had a heart attack and lost control of his plane.  I went into work and didn't think twice about it.  I didn't even say anything to anyone else about it because I really didn't think much of it.  Little did I know that within a matter of a half hour the world as I knew it would be changed forever.  Office Max was so slow that day.  We were allowed to watch a little bit on the break room T.V.  Around noon, the staff offered that if you wanted to leave you were allowed to go home.

Dan and I were living in Cedar Grove at the time.  It was just the 2 of us.  No kids...no nothing.  We lived right next door to a church and we went to a prayer service there in the evening.  It was unreal.  It was sad. It was tragic.

I can hardly believe we are remembering September 11th from 10 years ago.  Where has the time gone?  As we drove to church today, Dan and I talked to the kids about what happened 10 years ago.  I know we fully don't grasp the tragedy of that day as neither one of us knew anyone that was killed or injured.  However, we know there were many heroes that day that gave their life to try and save others.  We were able to explain to them that we don't know when our last day will be....but that is why we have faith.  That is why we trust God.  I am sure one day they will learn about it in school.  I am sure one day they will be able to better understand how horrific that day was.  For right now...all we can do is raise our kids to know God and teach them how much we love them and how much God loves them.

The world has changed in the last 10 years.  My life has changed in the past 10 years.  However, I will NEVER forget what happened that day.  I won't forget the number of lives that were lost.  I won't forget how the World stopped turning on that September day.

No comments:

Post a Comment