Thursday, September 15, 2011

Just in case you were wondering....

I don't ask for much.  I only ask for help when I really need it.  I don't expect anyone to feel bad for me because I have 6 children.  I don't think I am any better of a person because I have 6 children.  I am a mom...which is the HARDEST job on the face of this planet.  In case you were wondering what a day in the life of "susan" is like.....here you go.

I woke up this morning at 6:30, before anyone else got up.  I got Lanie's birthday gifts together and all ready for her when she woke up.  I jumped in the shower, applied some foundation and headed downstairs.  I got the kids their breakfast and kept all of them on track for getting ready for school.  I cleaned up breakfast, put dishes away, put dirty laundry away, and wiped down counters.  Then, I did hair, checked homework, and made sure the kids had what they needed for school.  We gave Lanie her birthday gifts, watched her play for a few minutes and headed out the door for school.  Oh, I forgot...I also got everything together for a teacher's birthday party me and some other room moms were giving to Abbie's teacher later in the day.  I drove them to school and walked each of them to their classroom.  I had to do a quick interview with Abbie's teacher for her party.  I headed back home with Lanie and Gavin.  I finished getting the teacher's special treat ready for tomorrow, swept the kitchen floor, got Gavin 20 snacks, and dealt with a very crabby birthday girl.  I placed a thirty-one order, balanced the check book, downloaded pictures, cleaned up the living room, played cars with Gavin, loaded the dishwasher, wiped down the counters again, started Lanie's birthday blog, and then headed back to pick up Kenadie from school.  I picked up her from school and was going to meet some friends at McDonalds to play for a little bit.  I forgot the kids lunches on the counter and remembered as I pulled into McDonalds.  I got them a very unhealthy happy meal (with apples) and drove back to school to deliver their lunches.  Then I headed back to McDonalds.  I was ready to order and then Gavin had to go potty.  He peed all over his shirt in the bathroom as I had Lanie on my hip.  I took off his shirt and stood by the dryer drying his shirt so he wouldn't be wet.  We ate a quick lunch, played for a little bit, changed a poopy diaper and headed out.  (It was nice to get some adult conversation for 5 minutes!)  Then we drove back home to get the camera I had forgotten and a few other things for the Room mom's birthday bash.  I drove Lanie, Gavin, and Kenadie to the doctor so Lanie could have her ears looked at.  Double ear infection.  I drove back to the school and set up for Mrs. Goetzke's birthday party.  We had a very nice party for her and then cleaned it all up.  I got all the kids loaded into my car and headed to Walgreens to pick up Lanie's prescription.  Then I drove to Walmart to pick up a small cake for Lanie and a few other needs.  Then I drove and got gas so Dan wouldn't have to fill up when he took the van later.  We finally headed home...I helped with homework, I gave spelling tests, I got them all a snack.  Please keep in mind, Lanie has a double ear infection.  The 3 older ones got ready for soccer and as soon as Dan pulled in, he headed back out to take them to their practice.  Lanie cried for a half hour.  She was miserable.  I sat and rocked her and sang to her...finally the Tylenol kicked in.  I started dinner with her on my hip.  I got dinner all set out so when Dan came back with 2 of the 3 kids we could eat as a family.  We ate...I cleaned up while he ran back to get Molly.  I started to fold the 8 baskets of laundry that were taking over the living room.  Dan came back.  We sang happy birthday to Lanie and gave the kids cake.  They got ready for bed and I cleaned the kitchen up again.  I finished the laundry, swept the floor again, and put the laundry away.  I cuddled a few minutes with Lanie and she went to bed.  I folded one more basket of laundry that had just gotten done drying.  I have made sure the kids stuff is all ready for school tomorrow.  I sat down to finish my blog from earlier and that leaves me to now.

My feet are swollen, my back hurts...and I will start all over again tomorrow.  I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me....I just expect a bit of credit for what I do.  I also will have to make up extra work hours for the hours I wasn't able to put in today doing my transcription.  So, if you see me and I seem frazzled or out of sorts....please forgive me.  My mind does not shut off until I put my head on my pillow....and even then I start planning out the next day.  I am a mom...I am proud to be "just a mom."  So for anyone out there that thinks I have an easy life or I don't really do anything...I challenge you to come live a day in my life.  I love my life, I love my job, I love my kids, and I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars!  Tomorrow is even more packed than today.....gonna go put my feet up for 20 minutes then I am off to bed!

Oh and I should mention that I know I am not the only Mom out there leading such a crazy life.  I know other Mom's work outside of the home and have to balance work, family, home, childcare, and everything else.  I also know that there are Mom's doing this all on their own.  My sister- in-law is single parenting right now as my awesome Doctor brother is finishing up his 20 years of school.  She doesn't have any family to count on or husband to driver her kids to soccer.  So, I am thankful for who I am and what I am able to do and the support that I have!

1 comment:

  1. It's uncanny how your life is a lot like my life here in Atlanta. Except I forgot to put on my foundation this morning and after I peed on my shirt I just let it air dry. I hope you appreciate all the football I had to watch alone today in complete silence.

    ReplyDelete