Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 2 of our Chicago Adventure....Bright and early!

 Our second day in Chicago started way too early!  Gavin slept on the sofa sleeper with Oma.  Oma says Gavin woke her up, however, I am not sure that is the case.  Gavin doesn't wake up at 5:30 in the morning....Oma does.  I heard giggling at 5:35 a.m.  After a scolding from me, Gavin was told to go back to bed.  That didn't happen.  I knew we were in for a long day!

 Guess who was first in line at breakfast?  Well, when you are up at 5:30 and breakfast starts at 7, you have lots of time to make sure you are down there right away!  Dan, Molly, and Lanie got to sleep in.  My mom and I took the other kids down for breakfast.  Cereal, donuts, eggs, sausage, bacon, donuts, omelets, juice, oh and did I mention donuts?  The kids were in heaven.  I took bananas too.....no on ate a banana.  We headed back up to the room and packed up.  Dan finally woke up...remember people, he didn't sleep well? We decided to cram into the van this time instead of walk.
 First stop was Buckingham Fountain.  So pretty.  Because we were there at 8 in the morning, it was quiet there.  Only a few people here and there.  Now I was glad we were up early.

 And then there is my son.  What is he doing you ask?  He is picking up hot pink feathers that he found laying on the ground.  Never mind the fountain....there were feathers to be found!
 I would have loved to see this at night when it is all lit up.  One day Dan and I will go back there alone and sit on one of the benches and just watch the fountain.  That sound so relaxing to me.  One day...
 Lanie is into this standing thing now!  I can pretty much park her anywhere and she will just stand and look.  She is figuring out that she can be mobile now.  She wasn't too impressed with the fountain, but more with the rocks down by her feet!  Maybe if she would keep shoes on she wouldn't be stepping on rocks!

 After the fountain, we headed off to the Willis Tower.  (aka the Sears Tower)  We got there a little after it opened and were able to even find street parking!  We got right in and headed to the top of the building.
 It was amazing!  The kids were so excited.  Everything looked so tiny from the 103 floor.
 Even Rupunzel took a trip up  to to top with us.  (See, I told you, Sadie made a good purchase!)

 Then there are the Sky Decks.  Okay, a few years back someone had this brilliant idea to stick glass blocks outside of the building that you can walk on to.  I think there are 3 or 4 of them.  Dan had no apprehension.    He went right out there.  I couldn't believe that the kids didn't mind either.
 Dan parked Lanie on the ground and she crawled right to the corner of the block.
 Dan went into another block and took their picture from the one he was in.  I started to have a panic attack.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I tried....and then I couldn't .
 Then everyone left and poor Lanie was stuck in the corner of the block all by herself.  My heart was beating so fast.  No one was around.  How was I going to get her?  You wouldn't believe the crazy thoughts that were running through my panicked brain.  Luckily, Dan rescued me and walked right out and got her!  Phew.....
 Then he decided to lay down with them on the glass blocks!  Kenadie had no fear.  She thought it was awesome !  She didn't want to come out of them!

 Sadie had no fear either.  Even Rupunzel didn't have any fear!

 The air and water show was on for that day, so we were able to watch some of the planes do some tricks from the top of the tower!
 Oma couldn't bring herself to go on the Sky Deck either.  I wonder where I get it from?  Ok, but wait...... I FINALLY did it!  I don't have the picture just yet....my mom is getting a copy of it made.  They had a special camera set up and they took a picture for you.  Dan went out on the Sky Deck with the kids and then all these random people started cheering me on to do it.  I was sweating....my heart was pounding....I thought I was gonna puke.  My life flashed through my head.  I went out....she took the picture....and I got back off.  Ha!  And then the picture didn't work...so I had to do it again!
 We made a few more trips around the top of the building and then headed out.  Did I mention we got there early?  When we left, the line was so long.  Over an hour wait.  Once again, I was glad we got up early!
 Oma thought going to Ed Debevics would be fun!  I was there when I was little and I remember having a great time.  We were known as the "baby" table.  So very fun.  Gavin warmed up to the waiter after a while.
They danced on the counters to YMCA.  Lanie decided she was done with her plate and threw it across the room.  It shattered everywhere.  Kenadie spilled a cup of water all over the table and floor.  Let me just say, we fit right in at that restaurant!

After we ate, we headed back to Michigan Avenue.  Some little girls that didn't get a Rupunzel doll the day before really wanted to go back and get one.  So we headed back.  It was more crowded today than it was yesterday!  We made it to the Disney store and the American Girl store again!  The Rupunzel dolls were sold out.  Of course they were!  Then we were done.  The kids were getting tired, I was getting crabby, and Dan just wanted to go home.  It was after 4 in the afternoon and I think we were all ready to head home.  I really wanted to go on a carriage ride....I mean I really did.  We will have to save that for when Dan and I just go.  One day......

We dropped Oma off at her car and we headed out.  Traffic was bad.  We thought the kids would sleep....no one did.  Oh, wait, I shouldn't say "no one" slept....Dan slept.  Remember, he didn't sleep good the  night before?  (I love you, Dan!)

So, like any good parents, we stopped at the Disney store on the way back home at Gurnee Mills so we could pick up a Rupunzel doll.  I am sure this won't be remembered when they are older.  We really do try our best to make them feel special.

 I was very thirsty so we headed to the food court at Gurnee to get something to drink.  Of course we saw the carousel.  They had been warned by Dan ....WE ARE NOT GOING ON THE CAROUSEL.  We went over to just look at it!  How can you not let them go on it?  Lanie was so excited!
She kept pointing at the horses, so I let them.  Dan was prepared to walk away and not let them.  Someone didn't get enough sleep I think!  Gavin had a break down...go figure.  Molly got the blue sea horse and that is the one he wanted.  I stayed off with him and we waiting until the next turn so he could go on.  I had to go with him....I almost puked!

We finally headed home.  We pulled in at 8:30 and off to bed they went.  We were exhausted!  When we asked the kids what their favorite part was...they all said "swimming at the hotel".   Ha!  Good thing we went all the way to Chicago to go swimming in a tiny hotel pool!

Thank you, Oma, for meeting us there.  Thank you for spoiling them!  Thank you for waking up at 5:30 in the morning!  Thank you for loving them!  Thank you for spending time with them!

We are at home relaxing this week.  We had some family over last night and it was great to catch up with them.  We have a birthday party, a few play dates, teacher visits, and dinner with friends planned for this week!  We have one more summer adventure awaiting for this weekend!  School starts on Tuesday!  That is in 1 week!  Only 1 more week!  Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my kids to pieces!  I LOVE school too!  Am I alone here or do you other mom's like school too?

4 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Dan works really hard to support your family. He should be allowed to sleep as much as he wants or play video games when he is not at work. The kids will be going to school soon and you will be home with only Lanie, so you will have plenty of time to rest, relax, and sleep. Plus if you are anything like your mother or sister, you can function on 2 hours of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, does the person that puts the most comments on your blog get anything. I was really hoping for a decorated pair of flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. matt's comments crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little disappointed that your kids were not all wearing the same outfit in the pictures by the fountain. I am sure they were the same brand, but different colors, however I just wasn't feeling the individuality of your girls. Please don't do this again. If you are running out of money for matching clothes, make sure you let Brian know so he can hand over some of his cold hard cash.

    ReplyDelete