Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Griffin James Wilke....Welcome to the Family!

It was just the two of us at the hospital when Griffin was born.  It was nice and it was quiet.  When we had Lanie all the kids were there and it was a little overwhelming.  We enjoyed our quiet time with him.  I was able to nurse him right away and have some special skin to skin time with him.  I did have the "pleasure" of having a lactation consultant as my nurse as well.  I will call her lactation consultant from "somewhere not so nice."  Without going into detail to gross any male readers out....when a Mom with 6 other kids that have all nursed fine one way for 9 months to 1 year asks for something that works for her....you should just give it to her.  My nurse was totally against me wanting to nurse a certain way and forced me to try it a different way.  It was uncomfortable and unpleasant.  I couldn't wait for the next shift of nurses to come in. As soon as I got a new nurse, I asked for what I needed and I got it with no problems.  Griffin has been nursing like a champ every since!  

Okay, anyways.....Dan was great during the delivery.  I am not really one to need a lot when I am in labor. In fact, I kinda just want to be left alone.  I don't need my head rubbed or him to count for me.  Just having him stand next to me being there if I need him is more than enough help for me.  As soon as Griffin was born he went right over to be with him...which is right where I wanted and needed him.  I needed him to be over by Griffin to tell me everything was okay.  

Here is Dan, proud Daddy of 2 boys now!  
 Dan left around 2:00 to go pick up the kids from school. The kids were so excited.  We had called the 3 older ones at school to let them know that Griffin was born.  They couldn't wait to come.  My mom stayed at home with the 3 little ones for the day until Dan came back to get them.  I had made them all shirts with their birth number on it.  I guess there goes that stereotype of me making them their clothes and matching outfits!  They came in and we put Griffin's number shirt on him right away.  They all handled Griffin very well.  I should say that almost all of them did.  Lanie became a possessive obsessive big sister.  She HAD to be by Griffin at all times.  She got angry if I took him away from her.  She was more than a handful I will say.
 We took lots and lots of pictures of the kids holding him.  Everyone wanted another turn over and over again.  It got to be a little much!  Especially with Lanie needing to be by Griffin all the time.  I found a wagon in the hall and pulled her around in the wagon for a while to give her something else to do!
 Molly and Sadie were adorable.  Molly asked right away when she could stand and walk around with Griffin.  We had to nip that one right away.  Not for a while we told her.  Molly, Sadie, and Abbie are a really big help with Lanie.  Lanie LOVES to go by Molly and Molly will play with Lanie and keep her busy for me.  I am sure as Griffin gets bigger Molly, Sadie, and Abbie will be just as great with him as they are with Lanie...but as for now....Griffin is just for Mommy and Daddy to take care of!
 Gavin was a little shy at first.  He didn't want to hold him right away.  Within a few minutes, though, he warmed up to him.  I love to look of concern on his face.  He would tell me before Griffin was born that he was going to cry when he came because he was just so excited to have a baby brother.  I am so happy to have 2 little boys now....i pray that they will be best buddies in the near future.  Plus Gavin is going to teach him how to not hit his sisters....those were his exact words.
 Here they all are.  All lined up....in their matching shirts....that I made.  Ha!  Who does that to their kids?  They were proud to wear their shirts and no one complained about it.  I am sure in 20 years I won't hear the end of it!  (Notice Lanie...not looking and "petting" Griffin.....it was like that the whole time!)
 My mom went and got pizza and we were able to go to the family lounge and eat it.  I brought Griffin back to the room while everyone ate so he could get nice and warm for his first bath.  The nurse was very patient and kind as we had a room full of people watching her give Griffin his bath.  He didn't like it all that much!
 The kids were all gathered around watching the bath.  Lanie couldn't get close enough.
 Then Lanie reached right into his crib and took his nook.  Just like that.  Needless to say...Griffin had to get a new one after that.  She did try to give it back to him...but we let her keep it!

My grandparents came to visit along with other family members as well.  Griffin is their 33rd Great Grandchild.  My grandpa carries around a yellow sheet of paper in his pocket every day with the names of all of their great grandchildren on it.  He pulled out the piece of paper and added Griffin's name to it while they were there.  I can only pray that in 55 years, that will be Dan and I sitting in a hospital holding out 33rd great grandchild.  What a great example of love and commitment they are to all of us.  


 The visitors left and it was just me and Griffin then.  I won't lie....I just sat and held him.  I held him until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.  I missed Dan. He was at home with the kids.  The nurse finally came and told me to get some rest as I had been up since the morning before.  I was exhausted but full of excitement.
 I didn't sleep well at all.  How could I sleep when I had this sweet baby  to hold?  One tiny baby...less than a day old...and he has his mommy's heart already!

No comments:

Post a Comment