Sunday, July 17, 2011

Strawberry Picking (Part II)


Okay, so we started off with donuts on the 18th of June and then headed to Basses Farm in Colgate to pick strawberries.  I would have liked to have been there when it opened at 7 a.m., but my life sometimes doesn't go as planned!  We got there about 9 a.m. and the fields were packed with strawberry pickers.  We also went on the first picking day.  None the less, we had a blast!  



 You get to take a wagon ride out to the Strawberry fields.  A little bumpy, but so much fun!
 They tell you that you can eat as many as you want....so why not eat the first one you pick, right?
 Gavin did better this year than last year.  He helped Daddy pick.  Not always ripe ones, but hey!
 Abbie was a great picker as well!  She found lots of ripe berries and ate a bunch too!
 Mommy found one that looked like a heart and gave it to Molly.  She loved the berry!
 I plopped Lanie down in the patch and gave her a berry to munch one!  It kept her busy and messy!
 It wasn't hard to find ripe berries.  We found lots of them to add to our basket!
 Lanie ate a little bit of straw with her berries, but they are called strawberries, right?  She was fine!
 We took the wagon ride back to the barn to pay for our berries.  We were ready to eat some more!
 Here they all are with our load of strawberries!  Now, what to do with all of those yummy berries?
 And....a token silly picture.  This is what we do when we can't get a good one....just make a funny face!
And then my awesome husband stays up late with me and we make freezer jam.  This year he cut the berries and I washed them and made the jam.  We both tuckered out 2 batches into making it this year (hey it was after 11 p.m.) and we had to finish the next day!  I now have 20+ jars of freezer jam in my freezer and I am the only one that eats it!  Dan says, "so why are we doing this?"  I reply, so we can be together!

No comments:

Post a Comment